The International Federation of University Women offers a number of international fellowships and grants to women graduates for postgraduate research, study and training.
Our 2014 fellowships round has begun! More info
Who can apply?
- IFUW fellowships and grants are open free of charge to women PhD candidates only who are members of IFUW, either through a national federation or association or through independent membership.
- IFUW fellowships and grants are open to non-member PhD candidates only providing they pay an administration fee of CHF 50 for women in developing countries and CHF 100 for women in industrialised countries.
- Students in any branch of learning may apply but their programme must demonstrate relevance to IFUW’s mission, aims and objectives.
- Fellowships are offered for the second and subsequent years of a doctoral programme. Applicants are required to submit proof of completion of the first year of the programme by the time of the closing date for applications.
- The awards may be used in any country other than the one in which the applicant was educated and other than the one in which the applicant habitually resides. For example: A New Zealand national or long-time resident enrolled in a New Zealand doctoral programme:
- Would not be eligible if her research is to be carried out in New Zealand.
- Would be eligible if her research or part of her research is to be carried out in another country. A Kenyan national enrolled in a New Zealand doctoral programme.
- Would be eligible if she has done her undergraduate studies in a country other than New Zealand, regardless of where her research is to be carried out.
- Would not be eligible if she has done her undergraduate work in New Zealand and her doctoral research will be carried out in New Zealand.
- Would be eligible if she has done her undergraduate work in New Zealand and her doctoral research or part of her research will be carried out in a country other than New Zealand or her home country.
When is the application deadline?
- There is a final closing date for all applications to reach IFUW, but Members of IFUW’s national federations and associations must apply through their national headquarters. The deadline for this varies by country. Please ask your national headquarters for the exact deadline.
- IFUW independent members must apply through IFUW headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland by End May 2014 for all applications to reach IFUW.
What are the other restrictions?
- Fellowships are for 8 to 12 months of work. They are intended to enhance the original research or scholarship on which a postgraduate applicant is already engaged. First year doctoral students and applicants just beginning their research are not eligible.
- Grants are for a minimum of 2 months of work. They are awarded for specialised training, independent research, or to assist in the completion of a postgraduate degree.
- All candidates must have obtained admission to the proposed place of study or research prior to applying to IFUW’s competition.
- No assistance is given for attending conferences or for direct family support.
- The awards are not renewable.
- Certain awards carry additional restrictions. The British Federation Crosby Hall Fellowship is reserved for women whose study or research will take place in Great Britain. The Dorothy Leet Grants are reserved for women graduates from countries with a comparatively low per capita income and for those who either wish to work as experts in these countries or whose research is of value to such countries.
There is a single application form for all the awards available. The selection committee determines the appropriate award for each recipient. IFUW reserves the right to make no award for any category if the Fellowship Committee so recommends.
What size are the awards?
- The awards offered vary and the amounts listed below are indicative only and may change in 2014. 16 to 25 fellowships and grants are offered in each competition.
- Fellowships are the equivalent of 8,000 to 10,000 Swiss francs.
- Grants are from 3,000 to 6,000 Swiss francs.
- IFUW Recognition Awards are 1,000 Swiss francs.
- Examples of awards offered in the recent competition include:
- British Federation Crosby Hall Fellowship – 2,500 pounds sterling
- CFUW/A. Vibert Douglas Fellowship – 12,000 Canadian dollars
- Ida Smedley MacLean Fellowship – 8,000 Swiss francs
- Winifred Cullis Grant – 5,000 Swiss francs
- Dorothy Leet Grant – 4,500 Swiss francs
- NZFGW Daphne Purves Grant – 4,000 Swiss francs
- IFUW Recognition Award – 1,000 Swiss francs
- The application form and instructions will be available for download here once the next competition has opened.
- Please read the instructions carefully. Applicants who do not follow the steps outlined in this material will be automatically disqualified.
Do NOT include letters of reference with your application. You are responsible for gaining the consent of your referees, supplying them with the Instructions for Referees and ensuring that they are aware that references must be sent to IFUW by the closing date for applications.
What are the selection criteria?
- Motivation for research, study or training
- Originality and feasibility of proposed plan of research, study or training
- Extent to which the specialised knowledge and skills to be acquired will benefit women and girls
- Extent to which the specialised knowledge and skills to be acquired will further the applicant’s career
- Planned work or activity after completion of the research, study or training
Instructions for NFAs
- Applicants may be of any nationality, but must be members of your NFA.
- NFAs may propose a maximum of three candidates.
- If more than three candidates from an NFA wish to apply, the NFA will organise a pre-selection process.
- NFAs wishing to propose candidates, should carefully read the Instructions for National Federations and Associations which will be made available when the next round of awards opens.
Instructions for non-members
- Non-member applicants must pay the application fee (LINK TO PAYPAL) before submitting the request for grants.
- Non-member submissions must fulfil all the requirements listed above.