The 28th Triennial Conference resolves: that NFAs urge their respective governments to
- protect water resources and specifically declare that water, being a non-renewable natural resource of paramount importance, be protected at all levels of government and its use and price be regulated;
- oppose all efforts to make privatization of water a condition for receiving financial aid.
- adopt and implement a sustainable and prudent water management policy to respond to long-term regional needs with due regard to the ecosystem and hydro-geological reality; and,
- promote conservation and more efficient use of surface water and groundwater at individual, local, national and international levels.
Plan of Action
- NFAs should urge national delegates to the World Trade Organization to make firm and binding the exemption of water resources in bulk form from any consideration as a commodity.
- NFAs should be alert to and oppose efforts by the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund to require countries to privatize their water prior to receiving financial assistance.
- NFAs should educate themselves on global water issues in order to approach their governments to carry forward the resolution. UNESCO has several resources in print.