The 27th Conference resolves:
- to support the recommendations of the United Nations Report, The Impact of Armed Conflict (#A/51/306, 26 August 1996 – The Machel Report) and the United Nations Security Council Resolution on Children and Armed Conflict (#1262, 25 August 1999); and
- to recommend to NFAs that they urge their respective governments to take action to implement these recommendations, especially the following:
- a) ensure that military personnel, especially those involved in United Nations peacemaking, peacekeeping and peace-building activities, be trained in the protection, rights and welfare of children, and in the relevant body of international law that defines these rights;
- b)promote an expansion of special measures to protect children during armed conflict, such as Zones of Peace for children, and humanitarian cease-fires to permit vaccinations and the distribution of humanitarian relief;
- c) promote the active participation of children and women in peace-building and post-conflict reconstruction, the importance of which is emphasized in The Machel Report (para. 90, 241-242) and the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325 Women, Peace and Security, involving women at the negotiating table; and
- d) ensure funding for the basic education of children, in a culture of peace, as a priority of humanitarian assistance in order that children’s education may continue to the extent possible during armed conflict, in refugee and displaced persons camps, and in post-conflict situations, with provision for local, culturally sensitive reintegration into society, including skilled treatment of conflict traumatized child victims.